City Parks Foundation Announces
SUMMERSTAGE 2017 SEASON
The annual celebration of Music and New York City Summer Stage 2017 returns with the Opening Night on June 3rd featuring the legendary Mavis Staples. SummerStage is New York City’s largest free outdoor performing arts festival with more than 100 FREE and benefit shows across all 5 boroughs of NYC. Some of the ones we are looking forward to are Digable Planets, Slick Rick the Ruler, KRS-One, Jadakiss and Regina Spektor.
Checkout Some of Our Summer Stage 2017 Top Picks
- June 11 – George Clinton & Parliament Funkadelic along with Main Source, DJ Marley Marl and host Roxanne Shante be at Flushing Meadows Corona Park as part of the Only In Queens Summer Festival.
- June 21st – Digable Planets will reunite to open the citywide SummerStage run with a rare performance in Coffey Park in Brooklyn.
- June 25th – Bronx, New York rap icon KRS-One and DJ Chuck Chillout will perform in Coffey Park.
- July 7th – Slick Rick the Ruler and GrandWizzard Theodore will team up in Queens’ Springfield Park.
- July 29th – Salsa’s next definitive voice Frankie Negrón will perform in St. Mary’s Park in the Bronx.
- July 30th – Rock Steady Crew will celebrate the 40th anniversary of their Bronx-conceived b-boy crew in Central Park with a who’s who of classic hip-hop performances including the legendary MC Lyte.
- Aug 3rd – A performance from the cast of Broadway’s new hit musical A Bronx Tale in Crotona Park in the Bronx.
- August 6th – Jadakiss from The Lox will rock the mic at Crotona Park in The Bronx.
- Aug 20th – The Russell Simmons / Mos Def-backed series Def Poetry Jam will host a reunion in Marcus Garvey Park in Manhattan.
- August 27th – Joshua Redman Quartet will pay tribute to Charlie Parker as part of the annual Charlie Parker Jazz Festival in Manhattan’s Tompkins Square Park.
“City Parks Foundation is dedicated to providing every New Yorker with access to excellent, culturally relevant performing arts experiences in their home communities . Our SummerStage festival brings outstanding artists from genres across the globe directly to city parks across the five boroughs, all free of charge, making those parks community and cultural centers,” said Heather Lubov, Executive Director of City Parks Foundation.
For the most up-to-date scheduling and lineup for all SummerStage programming, follow SummerStage via the social media listed below and visit www.SummerStage.org
Public support is provided by the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs, National Endowment for the Arts, New York State Council on the Arts, and New York City Council.
Presenting Radio Sponsor: iHeart Media featuring Lite FM, Power 105.1, 103.5 KTU, Q104.3, and Z100. Media partners include: Big Screen Plaza, Brooklyn Magazine, doNYC, Time Out New York, WBGO, WFUV, WNYC, and Zoom Media & Marketing.
In all of its programming and activities, City Parks Foundation partners with the New York City Department of Parks & Recreation to improve neighborhood parks and the communities they serve.
Facebook: SummerStage NYC
Official Hashtag: #SummerStage
Stay in the know with the Art & Entertainment world.
Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.